From this text I’m going to introduce you some of the commands which will helpful to you in working with LINUX.
HOW TO CREATE A SYMBOLIC LINK?
Symbolic link is a copy of the file or the directory which can be used to redirect to the original location. Let’s look how to create a symbolic link for a file.
- First of all I create a file and a directory.
- I have created a directory called symbolicFolder and a file called symbolic.
- Now I want to add a symbolic link for that file, inside the directory.
- Symbolic link has been created successfully.
Now let’s see how to create a symbolic link for a directory,
- I want to create the symbolic link for the directory, ‘symbolicFolder’.
- You can see that a new directory has been created.
- It contain the file too.
If we do any update to the symbolic link, it will change the original file/ directory as well.
HOW TO COPY A FILE WITHOUT CHANGING IT’S TIME?
Normally when we copy a file to another location it will save last modified time as the time when it is copied. But using this method you can copy a file without changing it’s original date and time and other information.
HOW TO CHANGE THE OWNER AND THE GROUP OF A FILE?
Normally when the file, directory is created it assigns it’s owner and the group. But what if we want to change it later?
- This shows that the present owner and the group as ‘vimukthi’.
- Now let’s try to change it. This has to be done by the root. So that we are using ‘sudo’ command as well.
- After giving the password, it’s successful.
- Owner has been changed successfully. The new owner is ‘root’.
Now let’s see how to change the group,
- This has to be done by the root too. So that we are using ‘sudo’ command as well.
- Group has been changed successfully. The new owner is ‘root’.
From this text I brought you some important commands in LINUX. Hope it would be a help to you all. Hope to see you soon with another important topic. Thank You!