WHAT IS ftp?
The acronym ftp stands for File Transfer Protocol. We can use the ftp for transferring files among many users on a network. ftp is a file server which is holding files to be downloaded. When talking about the advantages of ftp,
- can used to get large files from a computer to another computer quickly.
- more secure.
- can download and upload as well.
- can transfer multiple files or directories at once.
- can resume a transfer if the connection has lost in the middle.
- can manage a queue to download and upload.
- has automatic backup.
HOW TO USE ftp?
- First of all your computer and the other computer should have ftp installed. You can get it from the following link.
- Then you can start your work. Type ‘ftp‘ command and then give the address of the connection destination.
- Then it will try to establish a connection with the destination computer or the server. Then it will ask for user name. The default is ftp for the anonymous login.
- After giving the name, it will ask for the password. Normally the password for the anonymous login is a valid email address.
- After showing the welcome message, now you are connected to the ftp server. Now you can access files on the server and can upload files as well. There are two types of file transferring techniques. One is ASCII and the other is binary. We can choose between those two using following commands.
- Now we are in the server, not at our local computer. But using commands with the ‘!‘ will effect to our computer, not to the ftp server.
- We can use normal terminal commands to work with the server as well. In the following example I have change my directory.
- Using the ‘get‘ command we can download files from the ftp server. The file name should given as the parameter.
- Also we can upload files to the server using the ‘put‘ command. The path to the specific file should be given as a parameter.
- There are two special commands that will help to get the progress of our file download as ‘hash‘ and ‘tick‘.
- When we are finished with our work at the ftp server, we can close the connection and come back to our local machine using following commands.
This is how the ftp server works. Hope you got a clear idea about the ftp server. Hope to see you soon with another interesting topic. Thank You!