From this post I’m going to talk about mark down text formating. Markdown is a text-to-HTML conversion tool for web writers. Markdown allows you to write using an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text format, then convert it to structurally valid XHTML (or HTML). There are some text editors which make the life easier for you when work with markdown. I’m using the Atom editor. Also you need to install the Google chrome add on, ‘Mark down preview plus‘ for rendering at the browser. If you have installed these two, you are ready to go. Also there are so many file extensions used with markdown, I’m using ‘.md‘.
Let’s try syntax examples,
- If you want to make a text italic, use _word_
- If you want to make a text bold, use **word**
- We can use html headers here as well.
- For h1 header use # text
- For h2 header use ## text
- For h3 header use ### text
- For h4 header use #### text
- For h5 header use ##### text
- For h6 header use ###### text
There are two types of links used in markdown,
- In line links : [link text](link)
- Reference links : [link text][id]
There are two types of image embedding techniques as well.
- In line images : ![alt text](path)
- Reference images : ![alt text][id]
- Here we can use block quotes as well. For that use >
- We can create unordered lists using *
- We can create ordered lists using 1. , 2.numbers
- List of lists are also possible.
- To create a new line put two spaces at the end of a line.
- To create a code block keep four spaces at the beginning of a new line.
- We can create a horizontal line using — or ***
- We can use the html <code> tag by using the backticks “
That’s all about mark down syntaxes. There are no syntaxes for all html tags. So we can use html tags with mark down as well. When we are using mark down with html, you have to one blank line before and the after of the mark down syntaxes. Also if you want to use css, then you have to use html, because mark down does not support css.
If you check the browsers rendered page, you can see that these mark down formattings has been changed to html tags.
Hope now you have a clear idea about mark down text formatting. See you with another interesting topic. Thank You!